PROJECTS    Non-Profit Organizations
SEARCH PROJECTS
 
Legal Aid of Northwest Texas New Offices

Fort Worth, Texas

Legal Aid of Northwest Texas, a non-profit organization providing free legal services to low-income residents in 114 counties, needed to combine their Fort Worth and Arlington offices. The previous Fort Worth offices occupied a 1925 church and had undergone several renovations over the years. The organization needed a functional building, but wanted to integrate elements of the original building into a modern structure. Located on less than one-half acre on Weatherford Street in Downtown Fort Worth, the original 15,000 square foot building was demolished before constructing the new 20,000 square foot, three-story office building and parking garage. MULTATECH provided all architectural, engineering and construction administration services in-house.

The demolition of the original structure included clearing the .39 acre site of all foundations 24 inches below grade, existing paving, sidewalks, trees and shrubs. We also capped and marked the existing utilities needed for the next phase of construction. The building contained asbestos and Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) remediation was conducted prior to demolition.

Reflecting both historic and modern periods of downtown, the architectural design of the first two floors are defined by two tones of brick, while the third is wrapped in an aluminum composite panel with clear anodized aluminum frames and semi-reflective glazing. The ground level encompasses covered parking and the main entrance to the building, located on the southwest corner. The lobby faces the historic courthouse and is only a short distance from other social and legal services. Serving as an inspiration when in litigation, the accent Travertine wall has been deemed the “Warrior Wall” by Legal Aid’s attorneys.

We successfully complied with the local and state requirements for Historically Significant Buildings. A tribute to the 1925 structure was a priority for the client. During demolition, a time capsule was discovered from the original construction. A press conference was held for the opening of the capsule, which contained several photographs, letters, newspaper clippings and other memorabilia. Bricks from the 1925 building's veneer were salvaged and today's guests walk on these bricks as they enter through the entrance way.  The original granite keystone was also reclaimed and placed on the exterior corner of the main entrance.

 

 

 



 

MULTATECH Architects & Engineers Fort Worth Dallas Kansas City info@multatech.com © Copyright 2016, MULTATECH